Saturday, May 12, 2007

ive been busy

ok not busy like other people are busy but "lukebusy" so I haven't been writing anything.







here are some pictures from the last month or so.


my friend Byron and I have been trying to get a karaoke night started at the d*ke. you can see more pictures on the facebook group Wednesday night sing along to prerecorded hitz. i made the poster above with marker and crayon. It has yet to propel our night to stardom.


last Wednesday Byron and i were messing around with different songs before anyone arrived and eventually we started just flipping through each cd in order and doing our best with each song. Byron and I are pretty crappy at singing and I am not even good at acting or dancing in a funny matter so this was purely to kill time and it would have been fine had two groups not arrived simultaneously while we were doing this which also would have been fine had the song we were currently on been "My Guy".


"My Guy" is that song you know "nothing you can say can tear me away from myyy guuuyyyy...." you would recognize it is you heard it. The thing about two guys singing a guy girl duet or in this case a girl song about a guy is that it is kind of slyly homophobic. Not tremendously homophobic but kind of homonegative in the same way that hockey players are constantly joke pretending to be gay with the context of "we are so straight that we can make these jokes and still have tons of straight left over". More importantly even if two guys joke singing a love song to each other isn't offensive somehow (it probably isn't), it definitely is a singular joke which you then have to carry a five minute song with. In general Karaoke terms an issue that you have to be aware of before ironically selecting a crappy song or deciding on a comical accent or approach is "am I going into a 4 minute performance armed with 20 seconds worth of material??". if the answer is NO or even MAYBE then you need to consider your unpleasant future of singing the girl part to Human League's "don't you want me baby" in a German accent to your dude friend with an audience who has lost interest 2 minutes ago. It can be a little awkward.





In summary Byron and I are murdering both of the above mentioned criteria and the obvious thing to do would be to just stop the song and go ahead with welcoming the crowd and I would have been all over that except that when the crowd came in the bartender was off the floor so it was basically just an empty room with two guys singing lines like "as a matter of opinion i think he's the tops!" and if we were to suddenly stop it would have appears like we were CAUGHT singing this song to each other instead of joke singing it for a crowd and god forbid a bunch of strangers think I am gay so lets plough forward Mary Wells be damned.


I am actually glad we did because Byron's girlfriend Andrea came in towards the end and the look on her face was kind of a priceless mix of distaste and acceptance (I didn't catch a lot of surprise in there).





I have become pretty good at putting the shamrocks on the top of Guinness pints.

Stay in school kids.

I have to go to work i guess more to come


No comments: